In an interview with the Myanmar Times, renowned historical author and grandson to Myanmar’s only UN General Secretary Thant Myint-U discussed Myanmar’s response to COVID-19 and what the next steps could look like for Myanmar.
In the broad ranging topics that were covered in the interview Thant Myint-U advocated for a more robust safety net for those marginalized in society. Overall, the economic system should be changed. A change he characterized as, “a structural transformation of the economy away from the predatory, rent-seeking agrarian economy we have today to a fairer and more equal industrial economy.”
He highlighted the following:
- A greater investment is needed in healthcare, education, and industry.
- Economic investment in areas where the global economy will be in the next few years.
- The governments need to drive a major economic transition as seen in countries like Korea and Japan.
- The need for the economic change to be connected to peace building.
- A green economy not connected to excessive consumerism.
- A close relationship with China that is equal in benefit.
“Myanmar should be ambitious. The country has tremendous potential, with its unparalleled geography at the heart of Asia.” - Thant Myint-U